Feedback Wanted - Data Security

by Newcomer Wanting Newcomer on ‎02-23-2017 03:25 PM (660 Views)

We are designing the next generation of MicroStrategy tools that will provide our users the ability to create datasets via Data Import workflows and manage the security of those datasets.

We would like to understand how our customers are currently controlling the data security for the Data Import datasets, and what you expect to be improved in the new product.  Please share your use cases by answering the questions below in the comments:

• Do you have the need to manage data security for the Data Import cubes?
  • Have you ever used the Data Security feature on web?
  • If you have used this feature, what do you expect to be improved in the future?

datasecurityblog.png

Comments
by Senior Guru Senior Guru
on ‎02-23-2017 04:38 PM
  • Do you have the need to manage data security for the Data Import cubes? Honestly, at this time our business users are not using it via MicroStrategy. 
  • Have you ever used the Data Security feature on web? Hence, NO 
  • If you have used this feature, what do you expect to be improved in the future? I felt, current one itself satisfies as of now. Only issue is to manage USERS & USer GRoups via ACL in MSTR Developer is kind of tedious. We may need to improve that layer of space to avoid these hassles in the web.. I couldn't think of an better way to avoid ACL.. Not sure, if SECURITY ROLE can handle any requests for an user than maintaining too many user groups..
by Senior Contributor Senior Contributor
on ‎02-24-2017 02:45 AM
  • Do you have the need to manage data security for the Data Import cubes?    NO, we've never used them.
  • Have you ever used the Data Security feature on web?        No.
by Expert Expert
on ‎02-24-2017 06:25 AM
  • Do you have the need to manage data security for the Data Import cubes?    NO
  • Have you ever used the Data Security feature on web?        Yes
by Senior Contributor Senior Contributor
on ‎02-24-2017 06:29 AM

Do you have the need to manage data security for the Data Import cubes?

No
Have you ever used the Data Security feature on the web?

No
Note: We are seeing following issue for imported cubes in the case of the following scenario:

If the project is configured with security filters(users are assigned with security filter), then imported cube reports won't work, if new attributes mapped to existing attributes for data blending.

https://community.microstrategy.com/t5/Architect/TN30711-Security-filter-application-to-view-reports-based-on/ta-p/181646 

Here business not expecting any security for the data.

by Guru Guru
on ‎02-24-2017 09:52 AM

In 10.4, data importation is broken for users who don't have write access on shared folders, so that makes the whole feature unusable. It's been broken for several months now, and still no fix. 

It might be a good idea to fix it in your platform release before developping more functionnalities.

Not really

No

• If you have used this feature, what do you expect to be improved in the future?
by Senior Guru Senior Guru
a month ago
  • Do you have the need to manage data security for the Data Import cubes? No
  • Have you ever used the Data Security feature on web? No
by Johannes S Helper
a month ago
    No
    No, only in Developer
    Option for guest user often confuses administrators, also because this user doesn't fit within the named user license model. Also inheritance of security settings is sometimes not understood well by users (e.g. copying an object with security settings into a folder with different security settings).
by malikmud Pioneer
4 weeks ago

• Nope.
    • Not in production.

A feature that is related, i cant set acl's on users if the user doesnt exist, so forced to import my entire ldap directory. I know i can filter out which users get imported on the ldap side but would be nice if there were more options implemented around this area. (Specifically support for multiple LDAP servers is especially helpful)

by Newcomer Wanting Newcomer
4 weeks ago

@Lev Ajar Thank you for your feedback on the ACL.  I hope you can tell me more of your use cases that will help me to understand your situation and consider them into the new design. 

by Newcomer Wanting Newcomer
4 weeks ago

@Johannes S Thank you for your feedback! We are redesigning it and will try to make it more intuitive in the future lease.

by Uladzimir Seeker
4 weeks ago

Yes. Users don't have access to upload external data but they have access to work in VI with these cubes. Moreover, it will be nice if we can also remove/add option of publishing cubes direclty from VI(currenly, it is publiching cubes WEB which cover all options of publishing cubes from WEB).

Yes. Especcialy, users are using this options when they create subfolders under Shared folders. But this options doesn't work propely as well - most of the time I have to change ACL from Developer.

Just discribe above.

by Jon Jones Active Contributor
3 weeks ago
  • Do you have the need to manage data security for the Data Import cubes? No, not currently
by Trusted Expert Trusted Expert
3 weeks ago

No it is not a current requirement.

I can provide a number of cases where this idea would be much more useful:

https://community.microstrategy.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/Logical-Table-Filter-Requirement/idi-p/225897

So I would much prefer a focus on core platform enhancements to data filtering and security rather than data import.

by LUVE Newcomer
2 weeks ago
  • Do you have the need to manage data security for the Data Import cubes? No