Re: monitor cube refresh progress

Pioneer

monitor cube refresh progress

I have a really large Intelligent cube. It takes about 4 hours to refresh. I know the size of the cube in GB. How would I monitor how much of the data is retrieved lets say in 2 hours or 3 hours.

In order words I would like where I am at in the cube refresh process while the refresh is going on. How much of the cube has been retrieved and how much is left.

Thanks,

Umesh

Solutions: 200

When you refresh a cube, first your SQL server will run the query, then the IS will process the cube.

When you look at the details of the cube, you'll see how long each phase takes.

Unfortunately, there is no precise way to monitor the process.

What you can do is monitor your servers, and see who's working : first you'll see a spike of activity on your SQL server (while the IS is iddle), then the SQL server will hand the results to the IS, who will start working.

This will give you a rough idea about where you are at in the cube refresh.

Highlighted
Pioneer

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention that my backend is Oracle. Now I can see in the DB how much is processed. I can also see that certain number of bytes are being transferred from the Oracle DB to my I-server which resides on a AIX machine. Unfortunately I don't know how to relate the number of bytes transferred to the size of the cube. They are totally different. Do you know where the I-server stores the bytes that the DB sends out? Is it in Memory or Disk. If disk then where on disk? I hope disk because then I could see the size of the file growing and make some intelligent guesses about how much time I have left.

Thanks,

Umesh

Solutions: 200

Unfortunately there is no clear relation between cube size and time to process. Some small cubes take a very long time to be processed by IS, while bigger ones are processed rapidely.

For us, at the moment, the ability to predict how long is left in the cube process is higly dependent on our experience with this specific cube.