Preview the new community

We’re making it easier for you to find answers and network with others. Visit our preview site and let us know what you think.

Sheduled jobs should be able to 'run in background'

by Guru Guru on ‎03-08-2017 08:09 AM

When a subscription is triggered, hundreds, or thousands of jobs can be created. 

Currently, there is no way to limit the ressources that these jobs will use, so they end up using all the ressources of the IS, making it harder for users to access the service.

It would be nice to have the possibility to limit the amount of ressources used by sheduled jobs (for example 20% of the CPU), or set their priority to low, so that they could 'run in background', without putting the IS on its knees, and without interfering with regular users.

Comments
by ashok259 Junior Contributor
on ‎03-08-2017 08:39 AM

I think it is possible in latest versions of microstratgey but not sure. I read something about fencing.

by Guru Guru
on ‎03-09-2017 04:13 AM

Fencing only works in a clustered environment, if I understood correctly

by ashok259 Junior Contributor
on ‎03-09-2017 08:55 AM

i am not sure either...

i like the idea so i am in.

by JulioC Junior Contributor
on ‎03-13-2017 01:55 PM

Have you tiried to create a subscription using a contact list?

As far as I understand using that aproach, IS runs the report just one time, then email the report to each contact.

When you use the email  address created in the user profile , the report runs for each user, so if you have 100 users , it will run 100 times.....

JulioC.

by Guru Guru
on ‎03-13-2017 03:23 PM
@JulioC you're making the assumption that we send the same data to various users. We have 3000 users each receiving his own data, so your solution is not possible.
by JulioC Junior Contributor
on ‎03-13-2017 03:27 PM

Mathieau,

You are totally right......and yes we are fascing the same problem ........just forgot that part.....

Thanks for clarifying it.

by Benn Active Contributor
on ‎03-17-2017 06:03 PM

I can help (is easy) been doing a reporting server for years.  I have a normal I-Server cluster (2 for me).  I add an extra.  Load balancing is set in 2 places.  One for web servers and another for the I-Server cluster. On the web, the load balance factor for the extra server to 0.  This keeps web users off that server. The I-Server cluster has the Load Balance Factor for normal servers set to 0.  The extra server is set to 1.  Now scheduled subscriptions & Narrowcast services run on the extra server.

Some users have hundreds of subscriptions with no impact to their ad hoc usage.  Subscriptions queue and resources are controlled on that separate server.  An added benefit is if the normal servers were to go down, the extra will accept users.

Hope this helps.   

by Guru Guru
on ‎03-17-2017 06:19 PM

Not everyone has a clustered environment =)

by Benn Active Contributor
on ‎03-20-2017 09:34 AM

True, not sure single server control will be forth coming anytime soon with virtual in the picture.

by MarkW Pioneer
on ‎03-21-2017 10:28 AM

2017-03-21 10_24_20-MicroStrategy Developer.png

Just setup your scheduled reports to use the Low queue and other reports will continue to have prority over them.