Preview the new community

We’re making it easier for you to find answers and network with others. Visit our preview site and let us know what you think.

Cancelling a job should cancel the job for real

by Guru Guru on ‎03-08-2017 08:03 AM

When a job is canceled in Microstrategy, the IS doesn't cancel it immediately.

Instead, if the execution was started, the job will actually go on, sometimes for a very long time, almost similar to full execution.

This mecanism makes cancelling jobs useless, if the execution started.

I'd love to have the possibility to really cancel a job, instantly.

Comments
by Omar V Active Contributor
on ‎03-08-2017 01:08 PM

canceling the sql would be great too

by SimonCaruana Seeker
on ‎03-09-2017 06:42 AM

I think this is not solveable at MSTR level - instead you'd need:-
- to give have MSTR user enough rights to also load the sql_id at database level + rights to terminate in the DB. This would be pretty difficult and risky I think, plus every database would have different 'fully terminate job' processes - the above is for Oracle. 

I doubt this is doable... but as a tip to the poster, one way of going around this is to build this out as a seperate report, then transaction services to terminate from MSTR itself.

by Guru Guru
on ‎03-09-2017 11:47 AM

I'm not talking about canceling SQL. Actually, very often, the query is finished, but the IS won't cancel what it's doing anyway. For instance, if you cancel a cube refresh AFTER the query is done, cancel is still going to take a very long time.

by SimonCaruana Seeker
on ‎03-13-2017 10:58 AM

Gotcha Mathieu - how do you know it's cancelling? WHenever I have jobs running and I go on Developer - Jobs and cancel it there it cancels pretty quickly... Just trying to understand this - in fact I would love to have the next Operations manager have this feature of cancelling running tasks work cleanly  as well!

by Guru Guru
on ‎03-13-2017 12:17 PM

Try cancelling the refresh of a 10Gb cube, the cancelling will take forever (or maybe it's just me Oo)

by Jon Jones Active Contributor
on ‎03-14-2017 05:21 AM

Hi SimonCaruana,

Just so you are aware Operations Manger is being deprecated.  From 10.6 onwards you can only upgrade previous installs and not install onto a new server. 

by SimonCaruana Seeker
on ‎03-14-2017 06:22 AM

Hi Jon! Yes very aware unfortunately as we installed a 10.5 brand new setup (we needed it because of new BigData drivers) and there is no Ops Man. So it's actually gone from 10.5 as well.

Even Ent Man is pretty tricky to set up as we are running on Linux boxes, and the Client tools are a bit strange to run Ent Man. Luckily since we are running everything on cloud, we going to make do with some manual monitoring and AWS Cloudwatch until this MSTR 'Workstation' edition? Would you have details on it or a page when I can follow it's progress?

Thanks!