Preview the new community

We’re making it easier for you to find answers and network with others. Visit our preview site and let us know what you think.

Automatic import data cubes migration on version upgrade

by Enrique Lopez Junior Contributor on ‎06-03-2016 03:44 PM

When upgrading to a newer version, hundred/thousands of users have to re-publish again all their import data cubes. The upgrade process should be smooth and should not involve workload for the end user. That’s not enterprise ready.

Comments
by Tommy B Helper
on ‎06-04-2016 09:09 AM
Agree a 1000 times over
by iaraya Seeker
on ‎06-06-2016 02:12 PM

agree

by Newcomer pwu Newcomer
on ‎07-19-2016 04:56 AM

Could you make it more clear where this "have to " comes from?
Are the cube files are cleaned up during the upgrading? Or is there any error saying that the versions are not matched?

by Enrique Lopez Junior Contributor
‎07-19-2016 11:25 AM - edited ‎07-19-2016 11:26 AM

Hi @pwu, thanks for hearing us. 

For example, when upgrading from 10.1 to 10.3 all the import data cubes were gone. All the users had to look for their excel files and import them again because the visual insight dashboards didn't execute, throwing the classic error that cubes are nor published. The same with documents based on regular intelligent cubes. 

I don’t know why MicroStrategy 10.3 didn’t recognize the cube files in the cube folder under Intelligence Server directory. Although the intelligent cube files were there (*.cube, *.idx), the new version didn’t recognize them, they didn’t appear in the Cache Monitor under Intelligent cubes.

Please tell me if this is the expected behavior by design, un that case an enhance should apply.

I hope i made myself clear, thanks.

by Newcomer pwu Newcomer
on ‎07-19-2016 09:47 PM

Thanks for your clarification. It seems not expected behavior to me.
We will investigate and try to solve it ASAP.

by Seeker TrishlaM Seeker
on ‎11-15-2016 03:19 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by Newcomer Peng Peng Newcomer
Thursday

@Enrique Lopez  

Hi Enrique

This has been logged in our technology system as a defect, I'm trying to reproduce it but failed. Here is what I have done:

1. install 10.1 GA IServer

2. publish a bunch of cubes, and check the cube status in cube monitor, all of them are A,L,F

3. Stop IServer 

4. Upgrade IServer to 10.3 GA

5. Start IServer, and checked the cube status in cube monitor, all of them are A,L,F

Did I miss anything in the reproduce steps ? Have you upgraded the MD after Upgrade IServer version from 10.1 GA to 10.3 GA ?

cc @pwu