Preview the new community

We’re making it easier for you to find answers and network with others. Visit our preview site and let us know what you think.

Re: How do I make Object Manager recreate a folder exactly when going from DEV to QA. 10.6

PB Pioneer
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

How do I make Object Manager recreate a folder exactly when going from DEV to QA. 10.6

I have a question about using Object Manager when moving code from DEV to QA.  Say in the most recent QA we have 5 dashboards.  In DEV we've decided that we can combine two dashboards in to another leaving us with 3 dashboards in DEV.  When we move to QA, how can we tell Object Manager that we want QA to look just like DEV in the reports folder.  When we tried something similar to this last week, it would leave behind the 2 dashboards that are no longer in DEV.  We also tried the same thing with folders.  We had two empty folders that were in DEV and QA to begin with, but when we wanted to move again, those folders were no longer in DEV.  When we used Object Manger to move, it left the empy folders in QA.  Again we'd like to know how to emulate one folder to another in some cases.

Thanks.

Topics: 4
Ideas: 8
Solutions: 6

Re: How do I make Object Manager recreate a folder exactly when going from DEV to QA. 10.6

I don't think there is any straightforward way to do it using Object Manager.

First of all, you don't get an option to select a folder while creating a package using Object Manager.

Secondly, you cannot specify DELETE option for an object in Object Manager (unless it is an Undo Package).

Please "Like" this post if it helped!
If this post resolves your issue, please click on "Accept as Solution"
PB Pioneer
Pioneer

Actually you can select a folder.  You need to open two windows in Object Manager.  You can open DEV in one and QA in another.  THen you can drag whole folders from the DEV project to the QA project.  However doing that doesn't seem to clean up any folder you don't have in DEV anymore that still might reside in QA.  I think it also does the same thing if you had say 3 dashboards in DEV and 5 in QA.  It will replace the 3 that are the same and leave the other two there.

Topics: 4
Ideas: 8
Solutions: 6

Correct. That is same as creating a package and migrating it. But, you cannot include a Folder in package.

Please "Like" this post if it helped!
If this post resolves your issue, please click on "Accept as Solution"
PB Pioneer
Pioneer

Wait.  So you're saying you can never add a folder to a package?  The only project we've done so far has been duplicated and then had some files moved.  So they folders were there from the duplication.  If you need to create folder on QA then, do you have to do that manually on QA in developer?

Topics: 21
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 2
Solutions: 154

[ Edited ]

Yes, you can have folders in a package. All my moves are done with packages. I just moved a folder today from my DEV environment to my TEST environment before the move. The folder did not exist in TEST. After creating the package I imported it into the TEST environment and the new folder was created with all of the objects within it. However, as is stated before if you are moving a folder from one environment to another and it already exists in the new environment it will not delete any objects within that folder that do not exist in the original environment (DEV). It only updates the existing ones and adds any new ones.

"Life is what happens while you are busy making plans." - John Lennon

MicroStrategy Certified Engineering Principal (9.x)

MicroStrategy 10.5 on Linux with Apache Tomcat

Highlighted
PB Pioneer
Pioneer

So there is no way to tell it to duplicate a folder identically so that any extra sub folders or dashboards that no longer exist are deleted?

Topics: 21
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 2
Solutions: 154

No, it only moves objects from one environment to another. It does not perform any type of synchronization that includes deleting objects.

"Life is what happens while you are busy making plans." - John Lennon

MicroStrategy Certified Engineering Principal (9.x)

MicroStrategy 10.5 on Linux with Apache Tomcat